Ontario Automobile Changes
In March 2016, you received information from Jevco Insurance about changes to automobile insurance being introduced by the Ontario government to offer more choice and control over your insurance and premiums.*
The letter you received included this document.
The new changes being introduced are designed to:
- Provide you with more choice and control over your insurance and premiums.
- Implement actions to reduce auto insurance fraud, which costs all of us in the form of higher auto insurance premiums.
Important changes you should be aware of include:
- Statutory Accident Benefits including medical, rehabilitation and attendant care benefits (the benefits you are entitled to receive if you are injured in an auto accident) are changing. The process for claiming these benefits is also changing.
- You will have access to new optional accident benefits choices to allow you to better tailor your policy to suit your personal needs and budget.
- The standard deductible for Comprehensive coverage is increasing from $300 to $500.
- If you pay your premium monthly, the interest rate for the automobile portion of your annual premium is decreasing from 3% to 1.3%.
- For 6-month policies, the interest rate on monthly payments will be 0.65%.
- Introducing changes to how minor at-fault accidents will be treated.
When the changes will affect you:
The reforms and new choices take effect June 1, 2016. However, your policy and coverage options will remain unchanged until your policy renews. Additional information will be included with your auto insurance renewal documents which explain the reforms and new choices available to you.
You will receive additional information with your auto insurance renewal package that will explain your policy and the new changes in greater detail. At that time, you can speak with your broker about the changes and the new options available. Your renewal package will include a copy of this document that outlines the changes.
If you have any questions and comments, please contact your independent insurance broker, your best source for information and advice.
* In Ontario, automobile insurance is highly regulated and periodically reviewed by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario